Wednesday

Table Scraps And The Beggar God

Imagine with me a great estate during ancient times.  You have entered into a large dining hall filled with guests, and at the front of the room is a raised dais upon which sits the head of the household and the special guest for this banquet.  As is customary, when the main meat of the meal is served the host stands and carves for the honored guest the choicest cut of the meat, serving him with his own hands.  Once the guest of honor has been served then the meat is carved and served to the rest of the evening's guests.  At the conclusion of the meal, whatever is left over is taken outside of the estate and given to the beggars.  This is done for two reasons: as a means of disposing of what is left over, and as a way for the lord of the home to assuage his guilt and be able to say that he has done his duty and given to others.
 
This scene was the norm in ancient times, and, for me, is a poignant image of the lives of many Christians today.  Think of our lives as being served up as a great banquet.  Then, ask yourself this question: "What part of my life do I serve up to the Lord?"  Do I give Him the first, and finest cut of my life, or have I reduced Him to the role of the beggar God who is only worthy of my left over table scraps.
 
When we who have claimed Christ as Lord and Savior allow our lives to become consumed by our families, jobs, recreation, social status, social media, and so forth, and then try to fit Christ into what is left over in our schedule, we are giving Him the table scraps.  When God is what we try to make time for rather than the first priority in our lives, then we have turned Him into the beggar God of our lives. 
 
There should never be any doubt about whether we will worship in His house on Sunday.  For if He is truly Lord, then we will remember His day "to keep it holy."  We will not "forsake the assembling of ourselves together."  We will give Him the first cut, not the left overs.
 
There should never be any doubt about our commitment to discipleship and growth.  For if He is truly Lord, then we will "deny ourselves, take up our cross daily and follow Him."  We will give Him the first cut, not the left overs.
 
There should never be any doubt about our love for, and ministry to, others.  For if He is truly Lord, then we will have "love for one another, and thus show the world that we are His disciples."  We will give Him the first cut, not the left overs.
 
The list can go on and on.  But, to put it another way, let's look once again at the great statement of faith for the Jewish people, the SHEMA, which Christ declared to be the greatest commandment.
 
"Hear, O Israel: the Lord your God, the Lord is one!  You shall love the Lord,
your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength."
-Deuteronomy 6:4-5
 
 
Dear Lord, I pray, let me never reduce You to the role of my personal beggar God.  May I not be guilty of just fitting You into my timetable, but rather fit my timetable around You.  Father God, please be the honored guest of my life to whom I serve the first and finest cut of myself.  Be the One, Lord God of my life each and every day. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment