Friday

Come And See (John 1:43-51)

Do you ever find yourself wrestling with doubt?  I mean, after all, we were not there to see the miracles, love and resurrection of Christ.  When we admit that sometimes the doubts will arise, then the next logical question becomes - how do we overcome our doubts?  Well, let's look at what God taught me a couple of days ago when I hung out in His word once again.  In  John 1:43ff we read the story of Jesus calling Philip and Nathanael to be His disciples.  Once Jesus had called Philip to follow Him we read these words:

Philip found Nathanael and said to him, “We have found Him of whom Moses in the law, and also the prophets, wrote—Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph.”  And Nathanael said to him, “Can anything good come out of Nazareth?”  Philip said to him, “Come and see.”

I do not know why Nathanael was incredulous about Philip's statement (perhaps his brother had a tendancy to be excitable or something), but whatever the reason he still doubted.  And then Philip gave that great response - well, come and see for yourself.  The word used here for "see" literally means: to know, percieve, consider, or to understand.  Now think about that for a moment.  When we truly let ourselves see Jesus then all doubts will be washed away.

In the Chronicles of Narnia books there is an account of when the world of Narnia was first created.  As Aslan (the Christ figure) speaks Narnia into existance there is a man who is seeing this happen.  But this man is full of doubt.  And as the event carries on the man gets further and futher away from Aslan until all he hears is a lion roaring, instead of God talking.  The statement is made that when we try so very hard to be stupid, we will often times find that we have succeeded.  We can become so engrossed in our doubts and questions that we forget to see Jesus.

The more I behold His story - the more I see the truth.  The more times I hear testimony of lives changed by this Savior - the more my doubts are quenched.  The more I allow myslef to know Him in a personal way; to perceive His love for mankind (and me in particular); to consider the works which He has done; and to understand the awesome glory that is Christ - the more I find my questions answered and my faith established.

Dear Lord, help me to truly "come and see" Your Son and the glroy of His presence.  May I know what it is to truly experience the Savior of the World, the One who has called me to be His disciple.

No comments:

Post a Comment